Teaching colors for toddlers, learning activity with printables

Jun 22, 2015
Due to BabyCenter Team, toddlers begin to recognize different colors at age of 18 months. It is true that each baby is different and learn colors in its own way. For example in both nurseries that went our son, they were teaching them colors from about 6 months, they never learned 2 or more colors in a day, the process is to learn a color a day, or a color in a week. As my toddler already knows more or less colors in Catalan language, even in English he knows better the colors than in Russian, I thought that it is a good idea to improve language skills.

I have printed printables of 7 basic colors and some images that would have an association to the color. Then I took some paper and crayons and proposed to my toddler to paint something with each color. While painting we have repeated which color it is and with which images we could associate. It is like playing in a puzzle of colors.



I thought that this learning activity will be an easy one, as I knew he had practised something similar in the nursery, then he watched a lot of youtube videos with colors and theirs associations, but it hasn´t been as easy as appeared. First day he colored the printables, it was fun, but it was a good way to learn. What I have observed? He didn´t paint a red printable with green color, he choose right colors for each printable. Second day he had more enthusiasm about these printables, and asked me to draw him the dog.. and how do you think, which color of crayon he gave me?... the right one... the brown. It was a pleasent surprise as previos day I thought that the idea of learning colors wasn´t a good one, but now I think it just requires time as any other learning activity. Then it was easier and he enjoyed playing with colors and crayons.




In English there are great videos on youtube, that our kid enjoys watching. These are: Colors Songs for Children by Super Simple Songs, and they have an extensive choice of songs for all colors, so check there if you haven´t seen them yet. Our son in this way learned a lot of English words as apart of these videos nobody talks to him in English.

If you want to improve language skills on your toddler as I want, my advise is ¨Keep trying!¨ as every child learns in his own way and own speed. Don´t be too concerned if your child doesn´t know all the colors or less color as other children of his age.


No comments:

Post a Comment