Creative Homemade Ideas for Easter Decorations

Apr 6, 2015
Easter is knocking at the door. Decorating our house for Easter is fun, especially for children. I have two small children, whom I want to impose and show how memorable could be this celebration.
In general, the idea came from Valery's educator from the kindergarten, who asked us to bring a decoration for their group for Easter exhibition. And of course, the greatest inspiration for such thing is... internet. To be honest, it was my first attempt to create something handmade, such things I have not done since school time. :D
The first thing which I tried to do with my children is the yellow bunny. For it, I needed:
 - a stub, left after using the toilet paper, or maybe from somewhere else
 - colored paper
 - a sheet of white paper
 - scissors
 - glue
 - black marker
So, first of all, choose the color you want your bunny to be. We chose yellow. Glue yellow paper around your stub and leave it aside a little bit. Then we made the ears from yellow and pink paper. The teeth and the eyes of the bunny are made of white color. After gluing all the cut parts of the bunny, it is important to outline the eyes and the teeth of the bunny with the black marker. It was my first paper bunny, so it was not so attractive, but my husband decided on the contrary, so he glued the yellow bunny to our main composition late at night, when everybody were sleeping. :D
For the kindergarten, I decided to make a composition. For it we needed:
 - a sheet of cardboard
 - colored paper
 - paper baking molds
 - glue
 - scissors
 - black marker
 - 2 eggs
 - paint for eggs
 - one syringe
First of all, I removed the liquid from inside the egg, using a syringe. I did it because our bunnies, made of eggs, will stay longer in this way. But you can make the bunnies from the whole egg, if your kids plan to eat them. Be sure to remove all the liquid, it not to drip later your composition and spoil everything. Then, I prepared the paint for the eggs. We chose the yellow and red paint for our bunnies, but you can use any other colors. I introduced the eggshell in the recipient with paint and was carefully pouring it over the eggshell. I was not planning to obtain a too dark color of the egg, because I was afraid the eyes and the snout of the bunnies not to be observed well. After removing the eggshells, I left them to dry and to cool.
Meanwhile, we prepared the basis of our decoration. On a piece of cardboard we glued a green sheet of paper, it representing the grass. In the middle of the basis we glued 2 small paper backing molds. The mold which I chose for this had printed flowers and some elements of green on them, so that they could fit better the whole decoration. For each of the bunnies, we cut out in colored paper the ears: for the yellow bunny, yellow ears and respectively for the red bunny, red ears. Also we cut out some forms of grass from green paper, but not the same green as our basis, it to distinguish our bunnies. I cut out two longer pieces, and two smaller pieces. The longer pieces I glued in the form of circle, to serve as support for our bunnies. The circles of grass I put over the backing molds, they serving as more save support for the bunnies (You know, you take the application to the kindergarten, all the children try it with their fingers, and I decided to protect them in this way from falling). The small pieces of grass we glued on periphery, it not to be too empty.
After being ready the basis and the eggs are dry, we can glue our bunnies the ears and draw with the black marker cute snouts. Then, carefully introduce them in their grass shelter.
I decided that the application is not finished yet. So, I found on internet how to make daffodils from paper and I decided to make two of them for the decoration. These flowers are easy to make. I cut two forms of the flower from white paper and in the middle of it glued a paper backing mold. For the flower I used an orange, with white dots, backing mold, as I thought that it would represent better the middle of our daffodils. From green colored paper I cut out some leaves and glued around the flowers. When they were ready, we glued them to our decoration.
Also, something that I thought that would be original were the figurines made of salt dough. The idea was to make some Easter eggs from the dough. Although it takes a little bit of time, the result is worth it! So, mommies, do not hesitate to try it!
The recipe of the dough is the following:
 - a cup of flower
 - a cup of salt
 - half of cup of warm water
Make the dough, but be attentive! Do not use the water all at the same time, pour little quantities and mix everything slowly. Use water as necessary, because, for example, I used just one third of the cup. After the dough is ready, stretch it. Do not make it too thick, but not too thin, as well, 1 cm thick I think is perfect. Then followed the cut out of the figurines, I used a knife for it, I had no other special utensils for this. The figurines which we cut for putting them on our Easter eggs were stuck to them with water. Just take a paint brush and the way you paint something, cover it with some warm water and stick it to the other part of egg. But be careful! It is not desirable to drop water on other parts of your eggs, because later the paint could not cover well that part. This part of our crafting was the most interesting for my kids. They stood on their chairs, looking at what I do, without moving till I have finished. Also, they were the “designers” of the eggs, they were the ones who chose what elements to make.
After the figurines were done, I put them in the oven for 2 hours at 75 degrees on the lower part of the over, and after for 1 more hour at 125 degrees on the upper level. Some mommies were writing in the internet that sometimes, because of the wrong consistency, the figurines are cracking. I made more figurines for eliminating this risk. But, my figurines went out perfect! After cooling, we enjoyed everybody the time painting them!
I hope these ideas will help you easily decorate your house for Easter. Have fun!



Kate Dabija

No comments:

Post a Comment